“In these days, it is doubtful that any child may be reasonably expected to succeed in life if he is denied the opportunity of an education. Such an opportunity, where the state has undertaken to provide it, is a right which must be made available to all on equal terms.”
Chief Justice Earl Warren, writing for the unanimous United States Supreme Court, Brown vs. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483, 493 (1954)
These words are as important today as ever. Our firm’s dedication to students with disabilities and their families stems from Todd’s personal experience navigating the complex special education system to obtain services for his son, who was diagnosed with autism in 2002. We are passionate about the federal mandate under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) that all children are entitled to a free appropriate public education to prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living.
We are accomplished litigators with the necessary skills and experience to enforce students’ and parents’ rights through the legal system. However, we strive to settle disputes before litigation, if possible.
Our services include:
- Consulting with parents navigating the special education system;
- Obtaining and reviewing educational records;
- Advocating for students to be found eligible for special education and related services;
- Representing students and parents in manifestation determination reviews;
- Representing students and parents in mediations and resolution sessions;
- Representing students and parents in due process hearings;
- Filing special education complaints with the Virginia Department of Education;
- Assisting with the development of “504 plans” (under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act) that provide accommodations to students with disabilities.